PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 27th Feb 2023, 19:46
Chiefttp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
In Europe, in normal vsisbility conditions an "expedite" can be asked whith one on finals at 3 , even 2,5NM .it is done in airports with single runway ops and high capacity ( e,g Gatwick, Geneva, etc..) It is also normal for a crew to reply "unable" if they are not ready , the clearance " is almsot always preceeded by a question like " ready for an immediate departure ? etc..
Definitively not in LVP (i.e. with low vis procedures in place) But not exatly sure of the US/FAA tolerances. I howeververy much doubt that their book allows that. but not my area..

It is the same in the U.S. as it is in the U.K. with minor differences.

Our system as it pertains to low vis operations mirrors yours in the U.K. except we don’t announce LVP. For example, If you are driving a car in the U.K. and it begins to rain, do you turn on your windshield wipers, or wait for an announcement on the radio that “ Rain procedures are in effect, please turn on your windshield wipers, and open your umbrellas” of course not!

This incident is an outlier. Our Low Vis procedures and capabilities are robust, standardized, and crews are certified yearly and quite capable of operating in low vis. This event was caused by a poor decision by the tower controller to clear SW to takeoff, and poor SA or misunderstanding by the Southwest crew as to the existence or whereabouts of the FedEx 767.