PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 27th Feb 2023, 17:52
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lake1952
I posted a question about a week or so ago, and that was whether "an expedited departure " is even a consideration in the very low vis conditions that were reported. There weren't many direct replies although there were some who agreed that it would be unusual to attempt a rolling takeoff in those conditions. In other words, should a more aware controller and a more situationally aware SW crew both understood that an expedited takeoff in those conditions was unlikely to occur?
In Europe, in normal vsisbility conditions an "expedite" can be asked whith one on finals at 3 , even 2,5NM .it is done in airports with single runway ops and high capacity ( e,g Gatwick, Geneva, etc..) It is also normal for a crew to reply "unable" if they are not ready , the clearance " is almsot always preceeded by a question like " ready for an immediate departure ? etc..
Definitively not in LVP (i.e. with low vis procedures in place) But not exatly sure of the US/FAA tolerances. I howeververy much doubt that their book allows that. but not my area..