PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 27th Feb 2023, 08:41
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by deltahotel
I can't see what the actual trigger for the 767 Go Around was - visual sighting of the SW with the clever visual enhancement thingy? SA built up from the RT? Visual acquisition? If the 767 bottomed out at 75', then I guess the GA would have been initiated at about 120' which is about 1/3 mile which is about what the stated RVR was, so maybe the latter?
I was wondering the same thing ,but I am not familiar on the capabilities of Visual enhancement system they have . One possibility I see is that tehe RVr values given came from automated ground sensors , and would indicate fog patches, and then visibility over the runway from 1000 or 500 ft up would be different , and they could have visually spotted the SW in the holes. Speculation.
I don't think the side step thing is as simple as people think - would the SW be going exactly down the CL? If not then a side step could make things worse. A 767 GA is really dynamic and the sequencing is fairly hard wired - 'GA switches, GA F20, +ve rate gear up, 400' Lnav/Hdg Sel'. If you can't actually see the other ac its quite hard to make decisions on lateral avoidance - TCAS will help build SA at this point but not much else.
On the side step we not talking 30 degrees , 5 will do to avoid metal contact . And it has to be from the aircraft going around which has more manoeubrability and speed .. The take off one has to remain on centreline. Conrollers are trained and hamered about " separation" but here we are here talking last minute anti collsion manoeuvres. We are not really trained for that unfortunately . As to determine exact position based on the TCAS display , remember azimuth resolution on TCAS is 11 degrees , It is not a radar, It is optimized for vertical manoevres, not lateral ones. hence the poor quality.
Too much cheese, too many holes
Absolutely ! and not only in Austin , look at Burbank in the other thread., Same holes..