PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air BP SPIN
Thread: Air BP SPIN
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2023, 21:33
PiperCameron

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
LB you are no doubt correct about YBHI. In theory it should be possible to install a new bowser that takes credit cards. I have no idea what is driving BP although I imagine it could be purely commercial - they would have to to pay a percentage of their jet and Avgas revenue to Visa and Mastercard. There may be other charges as well. There could also be all sorts of silliness involved.
FWIW, you don't have to change the bowsers - just the OPT. Here's a pic of the recently-upgraded installation at YWSL with old TT bowers talking happily with a brand new Compac OPT (yes it takes credit cards):

And, yep, it's purely commercial. Notice at the bigger/busier airports (eg. YMMB) Air BP, Viva and WSP all take credit card. As you point out, the credit card transaction fees have to be paid by somebody and it sure as anything ain't the customer! As I understand it, the key reason the small players are "happy" to wear the transaction costs at tiny out-of-the-way places with tiny throughput is that it gives them an edge on the big boys who simply can't be stuffed feeding the small fish in the ocean.

Originally Posted by Sunfish
Why not just sign up with Skyfuel via SAAA and they give you everything you need plus a discount?
Because a Skyfuel account is totally worthless outside NSW. You'd have better luck with IOR.. or better still, keep a Visa/MC in your back pocket.