PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does "check-in" mean nowadays?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2023, 20:14
Planemike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by S.o.S.
Planemike I don't mind a bit of thread drift because that is how conversations roll along. 1952 was certainly another era and how wonderful to be able to see that span of development and change. For me, a window seat is always vital and I pay extra to ensure it. I was once stuck in the 'D' seat of 'Y' from SFO to HKG and it was a miserable 10 hours and saw nothing of the fab Chequer Board approach. Fortunately, I did see it on other occasions.

Also thanks to c52 for starting this thread.
Ha ha......I need no more encouragement....!!! Agree with you completely about window a seat. I feel "caged" without one. Remember I had a flight in NZ, Nelson to Wellington, double disappointment, I was expecting a flight in a Swearengin Metro but Air NZ needed some extra seats so substituted a Saab 340. My seat on the 340 was adjacent to the prop with a blanked off window......grrrr!!!

I reflect on the development that took place in my time on the London - Nairobi route. As I said first time (my first ever flight) 1952, that was only 20 years after the first direct (??!!) air service from London. I seem to recall that took about eight days, eleven to Capetown. ""Direct" involved about five different aircraft and a train journey: not allowed to overfly Italy. My flight was in a Vickers Viking (derived from the Wellington). Non pressurised (max altitude abt 14000ft, often much less than that) great views, of course, especially from the cockpit where my Dad and I were able to spend quite some time: Dad was ex RAF as were the aircrew.
Tail wheel, hey, an airliner that could be ground looped! 28 passengers: three cockpit crew (flight deck yet to invented !!). One stewardess (again cabin crew yet to be invented). The crew all did the whole trip with same passengers. Oh yes, she was called Helen and I fell madly in love with her....!! I still have post card from her.....!!

My final trip to Nairobi was in 1983 (to my Dad's funeral), just over 30 years from my first flight. BA 747 direct from LHR in about eight hours. Two crew on the flight deck and about fifteen in the cabin looking after around 350 passengers... Could hardly have been more different. During the 50/60s I made the trip on quite a few other types, including being hauled along by four RR Merlins.....!!

Yes, some wonderful flights, great memories. Do hope I can manage a few more flights before making the final one !!! It will depend on whether I can master buying a ticket and printing out a boarding card.....!!

Last edited by Planemike; 26th Feb 2023 at 21:29.