PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 26th Feb 2023, 11:19
deltahotel

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been following this thread with interest. I am a 767 freight pilot, so either competitor to Chieftp or maybe on the same team and have been operating to USA since 2009 as well as EU.

I can't see what the actual trigger for the 767 Go Around was - visual sighting of the SW with the clever visual enhancement thingy? SA built up from the RT? Visual acquisition? If the 767 bottomed out at 75', then I guess the GA would have been initiated at about 120' which is about 1/3 mile which is about what the stated RVR was, so maybe the latter?

I don't think the side step thing is as simple as people think - would the SW be going exactly down the CL? If not then a side step could make things worse. A 767 GA is really dynamic and the sequencing is fairly hard wired - 'GA switches, GA F20, +ve rate gear up, 400' Lnav/Hdg Sel'. If you can't actually see the other ac its quite hard to make decisions on lateral avoidance - TCAS will help build SA at this point but not much else.

I've got used to the USA thing of being cleared to land with ac ahead and having seen ATC command GAs because the rwy turns out not to be clear am more sanguine than I used to be, but if it's Lo Vis and I'm cleared to land I have to believe that the rwy is mine.

Too much cheese, too many holes.

Rgds to all

Last edited by deltahotel; 26th Feb 2023 at 16:32.