PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Pacific with BCPA
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2023, 15:49
CV880

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When TEAL replaced the DC6’s with Lockheed L188C Electra’s the DC6’s were transferred to the RNZAF. In the early 1960’s the RNZAF disposed of 2 however I got to work on the R2800’s in the TEAL engine shop and eventually the remaining aircraft itself as TEAL/Air NZ did all the maintenance checks for the RNZAF. I spent several hours in the F/O’s seat with the clipboard writing down the run-up engineer’s numbers as he called them out. Much more fun than jet aircraft. When the RNZAF finally disposed of it, I finally got to start up the engines several times while it was being prepared for delivery. Good fun, all clean starts, no backfires! A couple of years later when working in Asia I saw a vaguely familiar old DC6 in Royal Air Lao colours outside our hangar one night shift (I think I recognized the dents in the engine cowls etc). On closer inspection all the emergency equipment, engine fire bottles etc. still had the old Air New Zealand tags installed. I don’t recall ever seeing it again.