PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does "check-in" mean nowadays?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2023, 12:38
Blackfriar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Planemike
IF this is "thread drift", apologies in advance.....!! I have not flown on a airline since 2017.... No immediate plans to do so but would like to at some stage.
Does the fact I do not possess a "Smart" 'phone preclude me from flying?? If I did possess one, I would not have a clue what to do with it!! I have no interest in having one as I am not in the least "techie". If I decided to book a flight I would do it through a travel agent... What are my chances of being able to be a passenger again???

OH BTW, I can read and write and hopefully understand the King's English. Also possess a valid UK passport so please do not write me off completely....LOLOL !!!!
I used to use the smartphone app for the boarding card/pass until I realised "what if I was mugged, lost my phone or it ran out of battery or broke?" (Also applies to train tickets now as well). So I then bought a £5 second hand smartphone and just used it for tickets and boarding cards, downloading them via WiFi at home and so needing no SIM card or contract. But it's still a faff swioing it to wake it up, password etc. Now I've changed and check-in on-line on the computer and print the boarding cards and fast-track passes on a single sheet of paper. That way my phone is now my backup to my paper.
Air travel has become a nightmare and you need to learn all the tricks/rules regarding check-in, seat booking, baggage, hand baggage, forbidden items, liquids in small amounts in a sealable plastic bag (?) etc.
I fly every month so I've learned relatively quickly, but it's all domestic day trips so no bags and no passports.