PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversions after fire in JFK terminal
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2023, 17:16
pattern_is_full

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davidjpowell
Given that they were several hours away, was it really impossible to get the new crew and plane to meet in an airport within kicking distance of JFK. It all sounds like a could not be bothered lets turn it around...

Simple view from a back seat passenger I accept.
Takes more than just aircraft crew to handle an airliner at an airport. Ground crew (customer service, baggage handlers - in the US, these are generally airline employees, not airport employees), fuel service (generally contracted per airport for cheapest price), gate assignment, possibly assigned landing slot (pre-arranged time/date appointment to use the airport). And for international flights (as this was) customs and immigration/security staff (who want to have manifests on all the passengers on board, well before landing).

For a simple diversion (land, taxi to an empty ramp in a corner of the airport, sit there for x-many hours with the passengers remaining in their seats until the new crew arrives) it is not too difficult (probably). And obviously in a true emergency (serious aircraft problem, 9-11) one does what one has to do, both in the air and on the ground.

But if the passengers are going to leave the aircraft (just to stretch their legs, or go to a hotel, or catch ongoing domestic US flights), see paragraph one.

Now, if it were me personally running ANZ ops, I might have diverted to Chicago (closest airport where ANZ regularly provides service from Auckland and has at least a part-time gate and either employees or rented ground service providers on site) and assumed a small terminal fire would only cause a couple of hours delay.