PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air BP SPIN
Thread: Air BP SPIN
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2023, 01:14
PiperCameron

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Last time I bothered trying, Air BP required a $10,000 bank guarantee before they would reissue a carnet card to me. Gerry111 contacted them and asked whether $10,000 cash deposited in their account would do. Nope. That's a special kind of stupid.
You must have been a serious credit risk, LB!! ..but they're an oil company - not a bank.

Fortunately, they've changed all that and now only require direct debit details and approval for a credit check (perhaps they've had runners? or was that you??) https://www.bp.com/en_au/australia/h...rnet-card.html

It would be good if - as suggested earlier in this thread - Air BP has been dragged into the 21st century by enabling credit card use at their bowsers. It would be nice to go back to Broken Hill. The last time I refuelled there I had to pay a 20 cents-per-litre surcharge because I didn't have an Air BP card. Ceduna is a pain.
The other challenge they have with remote sites is fuel theft using stolen credit cards and in some really remote locations, locals buying the product to sniff. Carnet cards discourage that.

But you're quite right - in an emergency it would be nice to know you could use credit card as a backup. The newer OPTs all support credit cards - it's the phone connections that don't always co-operate. Maybe next time you head out bush you could "borrow" someone else's BP card before you leave? Just in case.