PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel [SH-T HOT] Break’ F-35C Crash
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 12:05
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Hang on. "...Have we forgotten to teach go arounds recently?" Who is suggesting this? It seems the mishap pilot has been benched because he did not wave off compounded by all the reasons in the accident report to qualify as PILOT ERROR. I don't know if he has a chance to come back but Naval Aviation has many stories (many not public and historical) about pilots not qualifying as deck landers for one reason or another. Some were able to get back to being qualified after more training. Them's the breaks of naval air. I'm reminded of a Super Hornet Senior CAG pilot punching out at night behind the CVN because he thought he was in auto throttle when he wasn't. A PLAT video shows the ejection. Pilot was rescued OK but what happened after I do not know. To date there have been many F-35C carrier landings without any particular incidents AFAIK. Mostly reports are good with comments about how accurate the aircraft can be flown to the deck such that the target wire is changed more often because it is hit so often during a good approach. Nuggets particularly are noted to transition to being good deck landers with minimal training beforehand, such that deck qualifying day/night is a breeze (green glow has been eradicated from USN HMDSs whilst USAF has been tardy changing over it seems). BooHoo USAF. USN pilot calls the ball in auto throttle but he ain't.

Wot's on the PLAT? See GIF.
(does not show PLAT screen for the video below)

Video title: Hook 2014 PLAT/ILARTS Night Eject F-18E Super Hornet Approach USS CARL VINSON Pilot Rescued OK HELO

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 23rd Feb 2023 at 12:35. Reason: more info