PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel [SH-T HOT] Break’ F-35C Crash
Old 23rd Feb 2023, 03:59
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I have looked for 'shbs banned' but did not find it - perhaps because the assertion is on another forum which may remain nameless. [I recall now - I think MOOCH in the VIDEO above made the claim that SHBs were banned now" (old guys and their claims eh).] To clarify with this weird USN 'merican wording at the end of the mishap report:

"4. The IOs do not recommend modifying CV NATOPS in the following areas for the reasons described below:
a. Modifying CV NATOPS procedures to ban expedited recoveries or SHBs. Although the expedited recovery was a factor in time compression for the MP, the execution of a 400 KCAS expedited recovery over the LSO platform was not directly the cause of the mishap. ‘This mishap occurred because the MP failed to select APC/DFP at any point during the 27 seconds between the lowering of the landing gear and subsequent impact with the flight deck.

b. Requiring overhead maneuvers to occur forward of the ship or extending aircraft further upwind than 4nm from the ship. When leading a division, the flight lead needs to break no later than overhead the ship or dash-4 will be greater than 4nm up wind of the ship. Case-1 weather requires at least 3000 feet and 5 miles visibility with the Mini Boss responsible for maintaining sight of aircraft up wind of the ship (for safety considerations).

c. Utilizing the Extended Landing Pattern (ELP) for daytime operations. With an extended pattern, there would be more time for a pilot to complete landing checklists and prepare the aircraft for landing. The ELP is undesirable, however, for several reasons. Due to visibility in the tower, it limits the ability of the Air Boss to monitor aircraft during their approach turn. Aircraft like the E-2 face challenges locating their interval for determining when to initiate their break downwind."

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 23rd Feb 2023 at 04:09.