PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel [SH-T HOT] Break’ F-35C Crash
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 23:42
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks for the video link. I did not realise the SHBs are now banned? I'll have to reread the report more closely. Also the wordy host tells us that the F-35C pilot was injured enough to lose his medical flight status but then later outlines he has the second worse FNAB (whatever) result "keeps wings but won't fly again' if I heard talk correctly. A few times MOOCH mumbles acronyms I cannot fathom but hey 'what's new'.

Oops missed 'fdr' point about 'waiting'. Perhaps I misconstrued the point. "IT was not me Chief". I can only go on the pilot words in the report. The pilot kept going hoping to save the approach. He did get waved off but too late.

Monitoring the approach is of course a requirement but this pilot had a helmet fire. I'm reminded of the Eglin AFB F-35A pilot at night attempting to rectify HMDS faults during his FAST approach. These two pilots were trying to do TOO MUCH and needed to GO ROUND AGAIN - but too late. CRASH.

Recently (a few years ago) LSOs used a NINTENDO/ATARI gizmo to fly an aircraft approach for reals. I've not heard anything more (probably for good reason). I'll go get the link to the story....

SMOOTH LANDING
https://navalaviationnews.navylive.d...8_01Spring.pdf (9.4Mb)

“From left, VX-23 test pilots Lts. John Marino and Christopher Montague, who are also landing signal officers, monitor an F/A-18 Super Hornet with degraded ailerons as it successfully lands aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) during March 21 testing of the Precision Landing Modes flight control system, which has been updated to account for failing aerodynamic surfaces. (U.S. Navy photos by Buddy Denham)”

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 23rd Feb 2023 at 00:04.