PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel [SH-T HOT] Break’ F-35C Crash
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 20:49
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Spaz, if you'll indulge me, please explain the difference between a normal break and a sh1thot break? I have an idea, but may be blind to a few particulars.
I have seen and flown the difference in a "short break" (at the numbers, downwind end end) versus a normal break (at the numbers, upwind end) in a trainer aircraft, but that's not quite at F-35C speeds.
HEHEH. IIRC the accident report explains well enough? I'd have to go look now. My deck landing experience started with an A4G Skyhawk 'rolling deck landing' (touch and go) aboard HMS Eagle back in late 1971. Being completely new to deck landings I was not authorised to arrest / catapult as were the other members of VF-805 - all experienced deck landers. About one month later I day qualified and later night qualified as an A4G deck lander aboard HMAS Melbourne - that is all I know. We knew nothing of an SHB but I guess may have carried out our own 'quick circuit' if we were late for CHARLIE TIME (arrive at carrier for DL). I've said before elsewhere I think that at first the A4Gers did NON-standard carrier circuits at 400 feet - the old Sea Venom height. This was great because it allowed a LEVEL base turn to pick up the meatball in the MIRROR halfway around, to fly the meatball for a shorter straightaway and less time to FRABup. During my cruise late 1971 aboard MELBOURNE the USN trained A4G LSOs convinced VF-805 CO (ex Sea Venom) to fly at the NATOPS height of 600 feet downwind. SADLY this meant a descending base turn which could be difficult to master as a newbie while also carrier landing, but hey I'm still here.

The USNI news 'LIGHTING' article has a NATOPS carrier circuit diagram so that explains a lot: (the caption is not correct - the diagram shows an ordinary Hornet carrier circuit - read the accident / mishap report for the SHB details [which is OK by the USN when required])
JPG: https://news.usni.org/wp-content/upl...g_pattern.jpeg
article: Pilot Error Caused South China Sea F-35C Crash, Investigation Says - USNI News

JPG shows Super Hornets likely about to break into CVN carrier circuit - as per diagram - for DLs.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 22nd Feb 2023 at 21:01. Reason: +jpg