PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Error After ‘Sierra Hotel [SH-T HOT] Break’ F-35C Crash
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 20:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 418 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by SpazSinbad
The F-35C pilot was recognising & waiting for an LSO wave off because: "...94. The MP explained that he thought the LSO were going to wave off his attempt to land because he was fast at the start to in the middle of the landing attempt...." This was a bad pilot attitude. Pilot flies the aircraft not the LSOs. They advise mostly and then they COMMAND - which must be OBEYed - with the WAVE OFF being mandatory, no matter what anyone thinks.

About 'breaking into the circuit'. The F-35C pilot had not carried out an SHB (Sh-tHot Break) at the carrier. Breaking into the circuit is standard procedure and well practiced. There is always going to be a first time (and watch out for the second time) for everything. This lad's first time was not to be repeated apparently. Otherwise as the report says the F-35C pilot was a good nugget. Sad that he FRABBED it UP.
Spaz, if you'll indulge me, please explain the difference between a normal break and a sh1thot break? I have an idea, but may be blind to a few particulars.
I have seen and flown the difference in a "short break" (at the numbers, downwind end end) versus a normal break (at the numbers, upwind end) in a trainer aircraft, but that's not quite at F-35C speeds.