PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2023, 08:04
Asturias56

Received 361 Likes on 210 Posts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64722723The pilot of a British fighter jet, which crashed off a Royal Navy aircraft carrier, has spoken of his relief at managing to eject from the £100m F-35.

Speaking shortly after the incident in November 2021, the pilot known as Hux said he only had seconds to react. An official investigation concluded the sudden loss of power on take off was probably caused by a cover being left on one of the aircraft's jet intakes. His story is included in a BBC series called The Warship: Tour of Duty.

The documentary also reveals how the Royal Navy's HMS Queen Elizabeth ship was harassed by Russian aircraft and how it played a risky game of hide-and-seek with the Chinese Navy.

The Royal Navy pilot spoke to the film-makers shortly after he was rescued and was still suffering from cuts and bruises caused by the high-speed ejection. He describes how the jet suddenly lost acceleration: "I tried for emergency power - that didn't work, then I tried to slap on the brakes - that didn't work either… so I kind of knew it was going to roll off the ship." Hux's life was saved by his ejector seat - which he describes as the most advanced in the world. That and extremely good luck. As his parachute activated, he says he saw the sea beneath him "and then a second later I could see the flight deck of the ship starting to appear beneath me". He just managed to make it on to the deck - by a few feet - before being pulled to safety. If he had not landed on the carrier, he risked being dragged under the 65,000-tonne warship.

Leaked video from the ship's on-board camera showed the moment the F-35 fell into the sea.

The ejection left Hux with minor injuries to his neck An official investigation concluded that the sudden loss of power was probably caused by a blockage - a cover mistakenly left on a jet intake. The aircraft - the most advanced stealth fighter in the world which is operated jointly in the UK by the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force - was later recovered from the sea bed to ensure it did not fall into the wrong hands. Chris Terrill, who filmed the documentary, said the F-35 crash was "a shock to everyone", but said the response of the ship's company was "as immediate as it was extraordinary".

"An aircraft might have been lost but there was a pilot, a shipmate, who had to be saved," he said. "Training kicked in but there was an extra energy and urgency to the sailors' execution of their emergency procedures. It was terrifying but inspiring to see." The six-part series follows HMS Queen Elizabeth's eight-month, 49,000-nautical mile voyage to the Pacific Ocean and back last year.