PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 20th Feb 2023, 13:20
Chiefttp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flight Detent,
This is a correct summation.

While the US don't have that box they still have the tools from it (protection areas, separation standards) and by all known means the ATCO failed to use them in this instance. Him not using the tools is not because of the missing box (*).”

As far as your question about a SMGCS announcement. Remember the US has a lot of airports, and a lot of them have CAT2/3 capabilities. Airports with SMGCS plans are usually the larger airports. If the Visibilty is below a certain RVR threshold, AND the ATIS. Announces “SMGCS procedures in effect” the aircrew is expected to taxi via the SMGCS routings and procedures. If the airport has a CAT 2/3 approach, but no SMGCS routings, we just land and tower will give us taxi routings. I landed one morning in Spokane Washington in CAT3 conditions. As I stopped on the runway, the visibility was close to zero. Tower sent a “follow Me” truck out to my aircraft and we taxied to the ramp following the truck. That won’t happen at JFK or O’Hare, but in many smaller airports it’s not a big deal. I preface my comments with the fact that I fly night Freight and many times we are the only aircraft on the airfield at the time, one morning I landed at O’Hare, and after clearing the runway and checking in with Ground control, I asked for taxi instructions. He responded, “taxi anyway you want”, you’re the only aircraft moving on the airport right now!