PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA; the privilege
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2023, 22:21
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Gordanmac; thanks likewise..had one of your guys on my 10 course who was great fun to wind up along with one of our T1/2 group who steadfastly defended the old BEA monitored approach where Pm did the levers.
Did you come across « Tim » in Laker who went to SR?
Remet Gill at my one and only Icarus meeting about 5 years ago - hadn’t seen him since I attended a leaving party for BB who was on his way to CX..think I was the only one who hadn’t mastered the handshake as full of them..My association was that BB had asked me to teach the co owner of a Jodel to fly..I did 3 of the 5 hours but on my last tempt I spent half an hour swinging the prop with my very pregnant wife in the cockpit when it suddenly fired and scared the proverbial out of me..so I pushed it back into the hangar and vowed I would never hand swing a prop again. Unfortunately I’m a hypocrite and a few years ago I saw a Taylor monoplane for sale in Kilkenny and at silly money I thought I could fly in around the coasts of the British Isles then France and dump it. It had been bought by a Methodist ex hunters after being restored by a mate of a mate who was ex air corps and 747s and had won the PFA award for restoration of a comet iirc. The Meth (he was very particular of telling us about it) had bought did and after some extensive training by a fellow retiree AIrlingus pilot on a cub took her up..it took 3 attempts to get it in the ground whereby he telephoned the restorer and demanded he buy it back as it didn’t fly like a 747. Eventually I got it going but he wouldn’t let me fly it even if I gave him a cheque for thé full price as he said my widow would be able to cancel it. As he had sabotaged it to stop others flying it I thought discretion is the better part of valour and accepted that I had paid for his tea and cake for a day out (back of the queue when we came to the till).
Brakedwell..guess we would have met as I was in the VC10 in 78/9..never met the guy but was very impressed by his testimony at the inquiry - not so much by eating copious amounts of carrots.
Where you there when a super was backed up to the terminal so that the engineers could complete the severe turbulence check on the T tail?