PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 19th Feb 2023, 13:42
Torquetalk

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Really ? going around right on top of a departing aircraft and not side stepping , or even attempting a few degrees off centreline ? ( supposing the FR24 tracks are accurate that is )
The way I look at this incident is that everyone fu* ed ..up , some much more that others fully agree, but no one goes out of this mess as a hero.
I was referring to the lower aircraft ATC, as I understood the instruction was to that crew. If so, and they were low, the decline is understandable. At what height did the landing traffic initiate the GA? Presumably late if they came close to each other.

Not sure I agree that everyone f*cked up. This was clearly a controller error, exacerbated by poor awareness on the part of the departing aircraft crew. They should have declined the clearance with landing traffic at 3 miles in crap visibility! I can’t see any of itvis on the landing traffic.

Presumably the landing traffic was responding to TCAS advisories, commanding a climb. Crew are trained to achieve separation vertically and not make lateral inputs. They couldn‘t see and thats what they did.