PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 19th Feb 2023, 12:59
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Chiefttp : very good description , which I hope is not really how it is done in teh US because ,as others just said, you have a big loophole in them . I know there are some differences between FAA and ICAO , and even between some European States and ICAO , but to put things back ito perspective here is an extract from ICAO EUR DOC 013 ( Guidance material fo all Wx ops) on declaring an airport under LVP to allow CAT II and III approaches .
LVP are defined in 3 phases:
1- Preparation Phase: This phase is commenced when deteriorating meteorological conditions reach, or are forecast to reach, specified height of cloud base or ceiling and/or visibility/RVR values. Note.— These triggering values are determined and specified for each aerodrome depending on the flight operations to be supported by LVP, local weather patterns, and considering local factors such as the lead times needed to prepare the aerodrome and to bring the Operations Phase of LVP into force.

2- Operations Phase: This phase must be in force prior to the commencement of any of the specific operations for which LVP are required. The Operations Phase is brought into force only once all preparatory activities are complete. Flight operations requiring LVP must only commence once the LVP are in force.

3- Termination Phase: This phase is established to facilitate a smooth transition back to normal operations.
In a nutshell to perform a CAT III the crew must be qualified, aircrfraft must be certified, airport and ILS also certified, and LVP must be in place. A crew annoucing to perform an ILS CAT III approach on the frequency is not enough . at least not in Europe, and frankly I doubt it is in the US. But waiting to be corrected if it is .
That said I do not know it the Austin ATIS mentioned LVP in place or not , or if, in a previous initial call , the Fedex did ask if they were in place and got an affirmative answer.