PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 19th Feb 2023, 12:16
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquetalk
Alfaman

I don't think there is any ambiguity: ATC is responsible for the aerodrome environment; pilots are responsible for ensuring that they can attempt the reported minima. As mentioned, up to the crew to fly CAT III, if they are authorized/certified/trained & current/and if available.
Yet it seems aircrew are basing their approach on what they perceive the situation to be, rather than in agreement with ATC that the airport is prepared for them to do so? You can fly a Cat 3 approach in CAVOK if you want, but if the airport isn't operating to those standards you'll not have the protections normally required - a large lump of metal, plastic & glass waiting at the Cat 1 holding points will most likely cause some anomalies in the signal, it certainly would where I operated. In VMC that can be dealt with, but IMC is a very different ball game. As Nordic777 says above, everyone needs to be 100% on the same page. Somewhere there's a hole in the cheese, & that would appear to be one to me.