PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2023, 11:19
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckflyer
You are not starting from scratch, but slightly late, so that is better then many others of course, all depends for what jobs.
I don't know the current TP market, but I do understand that it is very hard to get a Jet job from TP, as many airlines unfortunately no longer appreciate this experience.
So have realistic expectations of where and how far you might go.
If I was you, I would take my ratings required and start applying, while still keeping my business running. You might get lucky, also most TP companies are not taking their pilots from the "sausage factories"

I am slightly more positive since you already have that amount of hours, but expect that you might get stuck in TP for most or all of your career. So there is limited returns on your investment, but if this does not matter then why not give it a go.

The problem with the "sausage factories", is that most there are already guaranteed a job with an operator as part of their selection process. Unless we see a sudden shortage of flight crew, I don't think there will be many from outside this.
BA, Virgin, Easy, Wizz and Jet2 have recruiting a lot, but all for people with hours and TR / experience. Ryanair are definitely slightly "ageist" based on personal experience.

But if you are happy with TP and instructing, I do think you would have a fair chance at this stage.
Thanks for the feedback, Really not fussed about chasing down a jet job so all good on that front, would be very happy flogging around in a TP until its time to retire quite honestly and my company exit will pay out enough not to have to worry about the financial aspects. Its taken a lot of blood sweat and tears to get to that point though!