PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 18th Feb 2023, 20:36
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
(ATC Watcher - the upcoming ATMWorld conference for ANSPs might be an interesting place for prompting (or even provoking) discussions about how "extra" information about practices involving specific aircraft types could be disseminated more effectively. Certainly CANSO *should* be interested, no?)
I am not sure if I should post this here, as many here know who I am , but lets.say that my faith in CANSO being interested in promoting day to day operational safety in their Airspace world ( the new name) event is rather limited , CANSO is a lobby group and the real purpose of Airspace World is to promote and network the ANSPs with equipment namufactuers and deciders like the EU, SESAR ,EASA, Eurocontrol , the FAA , etc.. in additiuon of making money. The European ANSPs today are primarily interested in using new technologies to reduce costs , safety is more or less taken for granted . They will of course claim high and loud that safety is their first priority, but we all know it is not anymore. Reducing costs is.

For me the best way to close the safety gaps caused by these aircraft specificities woud be more like having Tech pilots and/or aircraft manufacturers giving lectures as part of the controllers refresher training sessions ,and put more controllers in cockpits ( as it was the case before 9/11) and have more pilots visting ATC facilities . Holding joint pilots/controllers events on a regular basis would be another one. But taking staff off duty for all this cost money , and, as I said before, the new managers of both airlines and ANSPs are there to reduce costs, not to add some .