PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2023, 06:42
RiSq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crikey!

that report is simply shocking. But the signs were there right from the off.

I called the lack of prop / engine noise immediately as well as the feather scenario. But what i never expected in a million years was that it wasn’t due to a mechanical fault, but human error.

blimey its worrying.

777 pilots not checking ALT gauges before enabling AP on T/O and now ATR pilots grabbing completely the wrong levers.

The excuse of muscle memory doesn’t - nor should it - wash. Especially with levers with a totally different ergonomic feel. If they were all the same - i could somewhat understand it - but they are not, for this reason.

the fact that the error occurred and PM didn’t think “Well I didn’t get flaps 30 so what did i do” and subsequently does adjust to Flaps 30 later, still not noticing the error - is scary.

it literally feels like a lottery with the quality of the crews you get these days - almost at the point where I’m tempted to ask the flight crew some Aircraft type trivia questions before boarding.

that isn’t meant to offend those of you that are fully competent (I know despite encouraged automation, SOPS and company CRM some of you do still exist)

airframe reliability has come a long way in the last 20 years. However, Air crew reliability has gone south in a big way.

What a turnaround of events, from highly experienced and well trained crews who sadly found the hardware letting them down in times of old.

A crude estimation, but of the last 10 major Airliner accidents I can think of, at least 80% of them have been flyable aircraft.

Last edited by RiSq; 18th Feb 2023 at 06:56.