PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Passenger jets, radar retuning and 'objects'?
Old 18th Feb 2023, 05:41
Lazyload

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by First_Principal
Re downing such objects, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the US 'Star wars' laser system that was all the rage some time ago.

How much was fact and how much fiction such as the 'real' Star Wars blaster bolt we may not know, but I should think if you were concerned about gravity and missiles/rounds falling on your head following a miss then a laser 'bolt' might be the preferred weapon. Science suggests we wouldn't see it as per Spielberg's presentation, but the result should be the same.

Otherwise I've no doubt that the military, like any other system operator will, from time to time, need to check and test that their equipment is working properly. What better way to do that than on a 'proper' target? No doubt it costs a wadge of cash for each missile, but in the grand scale of what I imagine the military budget to be I imagine it might equate to your morning cup of tea...

FP.
That’s the other reason for sending the balloon - to check what tools the opposition has for bringing it down.