PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith has invested $10,000 for more weather cameras in Australia
Old 16th Feb 2023, 22:14
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Insofar as Airport 1 with the 'broadcast worldwide & liability" concern, there is no 'right to privacy' in Australia, save where you would otherwise have such an expectation of privacy, ie inside your own home. In public anything you can see from where you are legally allowed to be can be filmed by anyone, at any time. This is what an awful lot of parents don't understand when you try to get a nice photograph of a beach / a sunset / my kids soccer game or something else with kids in it and some Karen storms up screeching "You can't film my kids, they're underage...." and carrying on like a pork chop.... UUhh, yes, love, I can film or photograph them if they're in public but I was filming my kids, yours are inconsequential, now sod off...

Maybe you could use that angle, and also point out that a lot of us have ADS-B or EC devices now and can be tracked anytime we're flying, by anyone with an internet connection?

And anyway, if the view is as good as the owner reckons, wouldn't that want more people to fly in to see it for themselves, and by publicising it to a 'worldwide' audience, possibly increase the visibility of it and attract more visitors/tourism?

= = =

Airport 2 - I'm not sure there's much you can do there, except to maybe point out that by placing the cameras there it will absolve the AD owner of the responsibility of providing weather data and place that back on the pilot? Consider this scenario: Pilot A wants to fly to Airport2, so he calls for PPR and they provide current observed weather. For whatever reason, it deteriorates while ol' mate is enroute, but based on the original report he's not carrying enough fuel for an alternate, runs out of fuel and crashes. Could a good lawyer try to pin a portion of the blame on the AD Owner for misleading info? Possibly, maybe even probably.

But with the cameras, Pilot A calls for PPR and when granted has sole responsibility for deciding what fuel and weather considerations need to be factored in. If he runs out of fuel and crashes due to deteriorating weather, there's no questions to be asked of the AD Owner and they could probably even use the cameras as a defence by saying "Well, we've installed these cameras to try to give pilots a better appreciation of the weather so they can better fulfil their responsibilities. He had access to the feed, the BoM's iffy forecast and flew anyway. Ain't my problem, sorry."
The following users liked this post: