PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith has invested $10,000 for more weather cameras in Australia
Old 16th Feb 2023, 11:44
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
An update for everyone.

There are currently around 18 sites that are confirmed to be receiving cameras. This means that equipment has been ordered and will be shipped as soon as possible. The first will start to appear online from as early as next week.

There are around another 10 or so sites that are in the initial contact and or planning phases.

I do have an ask of you all though... I'm asking for some advice.

I have two airports in mind that were key sites for cameras. In my opinion, these airports would benefit more than most others from the installation of weather cameras.

- Both are privately owned licenced airports.

- The first is not PPR
- AMSA have listed this as a significantly important airport and one where SAR times are often not cancelled, possibly due to poor internet & phone coverage
- They have significant GA traffic, including charter, but no RPT
- It's located in a critical location where pilots need to purchase fuel to continue their journeys
- The owner says that the views from the cameras would be stunning. He doesn't want people to be able to see this view on the cameras, because if they do, they won't want to visit the airport/area, as - they will have already seen this amazing view
- They are worried that people will fly into this private airport and not realise that they are being recorded and broadcast around the world and thus open them up to liability

The second:
- Strictly PPR
- Central location and in a CRITICAL weather location for GA aircraft
- Has private, charter and RPT aircraft
- Operator does not want cameras because they don't want to give pilots a false impression of good weather
- Operator wants to provide landing permission based on weather conditions observed by him only and via no other methods

I responded to these concerns to the best of my ability, however seemingly that wasn't good enough.

Can anyone here offer further suggestions as to how you would approach these conversations?