PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life expectancy among Pilots/cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2023, 22:07
VintageEngineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My second career is as a qualified actuary in life assurance so I can claim some expertise in this field.

I could write reams and reams but will keep this short.

Mortality varies significantly with race and country of origin. Within that, mortality is heavily correlated with many factors, notably sex, class/wealth of parents (a proxy for food, healthcare etc in childhood) and education. The data from western nations suggests lower mortality/longer life expectancy in cockpit crew and, to a lesser degree, in engineering personnel and cabin crew, which is not unexpected given the education and health standards inherent in those jobs.

Deaths in accidents at working ages are higher than the general population. However, reduced deaths from other causes more than compensate for this so that at all working ages aircrew mortality is lower than that for the general population.

I have seen several studies of cancer rates from concerns over increased radiation. There seems to be an increased risk of some cancers but a reduced risk of others. None of those I have seen suggest that aircrew are at any higher risk of cancer than the general population, quite the opposite, although it’s possible to argue that the rates of cancer are slightly higher than that projected from reduced mortality from other causes.

Most of my reading material is restricted so I dug out a couple of publicly available information such as this one on general rates and This one on cancer rates.

The data on early retirement and on in the first years after retirement reflects the same trend as other professional groups. Once ill-health retirement is filtered out, early retirement seems to have little effect on mortality/longevity but later than age 65 retirement is associated with lower mortality/higher longevity, probably due to a selection effect. As for deaths immediately after retirement, there is clear higher mortality for all groups; however, in aircrew as for other professional groups, the increase is less than that for lower socio-economic groups.

In summary, being aircrew means that, on average, accidents are a greater risk than cancer, you will live longer and have more years in good health than the general population, and when you retire, unless on grounds of ill-health, has little effect on how long you’ll live.