PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 fuel penalty
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2023, 03:17
iggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingAir1978
This calculation is not correct, I'm afraid. The PENALTY is 180%. Therefore the total fuel used would be the fuel normally used PLUS the penalty. You have only calculated the penalty (6x1.8 = 10.8) The total fuel burn would thus be the 6 tonnes, PLUS the 10.8. = 16.8 tonnes. Also you may need to include the penalty for open gear doors of 15%. To be conservative just multiply the fuel-burn by 3.
You were totally right, the answer can be found in this Airbus Safety Magazine from 2012: https://www.ukfsc.co.uk/files/Safety...Jan%202012.pdf

The two key points to look for this question are:

How to calculate Additional Fuel

Additional fuel must be added to the fuel prediction calculated by the FMS.

I repeat: it is scary to think the amount of pilots that are going to run out of fuel in the air after I taught them the wrong way.

And, totally unrelated to this thread, but worth mentioning: I got the answer to this from the nerdy, sweet, glasses-wearing, non-aviation related, amazingly intelligent, humorous, incredibly hot and with magic eyes, love of my life. It took her less than 5 minutes to come with a well documented answer, even though the closest she has been to an airplane has been as a passenger. And on top of that, her nickname is an acronym that we pilots use on a daily basis, can't ask for more!

So, this is to you, I know you are going to love it. Happy belated Saint Valentine!