PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Data storage and retrieval
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2004, 08:36
DubTrub

Data storage and retrieval

Data storage and retrieval

In my professional capacity, I am obliged to maintain a copy of what I do. I manage a business which is defined as being "data and personal sensitive", so we have to be careful what information we let out to whom. So on paper it goes, and lots of reams of paper go into an ever-expanding file of paper. Faxes, letters, spreadsheets, emails, invoices etc.

I am fortunate, however, that all these copies of what I do are in one very large filing cabinet so I always know from where to retrieve my historical data.

Now here I am in the computer world.

When I issue an email (or respond to an email) it is stored in my "sent items" folder within my email program. To ensure I have a copy, I "back up" my email data to a secure storage medium (i.e. I print it out).

When I issue an invoice in electronic format (always eventually paid by the recipient, I might add), it is stored in some accounting database buried in the ether there.

When I create a spreadsheet (or word processing document, whatever) it is stored somewhere ELSE than my email program or my accounting database, but again, to secure the history and reliability of retrieval, I print a copy.

When I issue (or respond to) a post on a bulletin board (such as this) I do not know how to retain a copy of my missive, it is held by some server out there in the great ether, so I create it in Notepad (as I am doing now) and print it out to ensure I have a copy.

My question is: My printer is getting ever so tired of printing out information that is secured elsewhere in electronic format, but I am concerned that because of the several ways of storage, I might not be able to retrieve the data. I am keen to retreat from my ever-expanding paper filing system.

How do I overcome my desire to retain a hard copy of things I type on a computer (when I am not entirely sure of being able to retrieve it without printing it?)

Any suggestions?

p.s. I am an Undertaker.