PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High altitude object shot down
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2023, 13:03
m0nkfish

Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Low average
Not sure how the US or Canada are at fault here? China is deliberately violating their airspace with reconnaissance balloons and then taking a page from the Russian playbook - Deny, cast doubt, mock. We've seen this exact tactic played over and over the last year. It's a sure sign they're up to no good.

I find it a worrying turn of events - why do they feel the need to do this now?

Perhaps to probe US Nuclear capabilities pre-Taiwan invasion, or to pass Intel to their Russian friends? All it takes is a satellite uplink. Maybe one day a balloon manages to get over the mainland with a bucket of sunshine.

I dont blame them for shooting them down.
I don't have an issue with shooting down a Chinese balloon, especially if there is suspicion that it is conducting surveillance, although I would suggest it is far better to down the balloon before it is able to trek all across the country taking pictures and hoovering up EW emissions.

But I do take issue at the shoot first policy which seems to be in place for UFO, because that is what they have so far admitted the second two objects are. As I said before, maybe they did know more than they are saying, and the use of force is justified. But the use of force should be a last resort, not the first, as seems to be the case here for, what seems to me, largely political reasons.
The following users liked this post: