PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High altitude object shot down
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2023, 22:37
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by m0nkfish
Am I the only one who things this is grossly irresponsible of the US? Serious questions should be asked by other countries about their approach to how they deal with something they don’t understand. They have confirmed they don’t know the origin, nationality or intention of these UFO so they just shoot them out of the sky instead of shadowing them and vectoring civil traffic around.

Maybe they know more, in fact I hope they do, such that it justifies their actions; but with tensions around the world running so high, the US should not be pouring more fuel on the fire with, what seems to me, political gesturing using live weapons and targets they seem to know nothing about.

Some questions:

How does anyone know the airworthiness of anything unidentified and potentially flying over populated areas?

How does anyone know the intent behind whoever launched such a flying machine when it's unidentified?

Take this for a scenario. The thing is loaded with a couple of hundred kg of novichok. Not far fetched. Russia has cast caution to the wind when deploying this stuff (twice). What's the safest thing to do? Do you carry on letting it fly across the USA? Free to drop its payload anywhere it chooses?

Biden was a dick in not destroying the first balloon sooner. Hell of a risk letting something unknown, with an unknown payload, fly right across the continental US. May be he knew what it *might* be. Still a hell of a gamble. Seems that lessons were learned from the last balloon. This thing was shot down when still in a wilderness area. Bloody good job too. Best to be safe than sorry. We sure do live in interesting times. Would not surprise me in the least to find that there are weapons of mass destruction we know sod all about.

Maybe time I took my tinfoil hat off and and accept the inevitable My judgement my be affected by having recently succumbed to the Chinese bastard bug. Not blaming them. They didn't do much to stop millions being killed by it though. Arguably their actions were worse than those of Hitler (not being serious, just provocative).