PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 16:25
_Agrajag_

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown
These rules of war are all very well, but they treat warfare as if it were a game of chess. They take no account of the relative leadership, quality, morale and determination of the opposing forces. According to Sun Tzu the Luftwaffe should have won the Battle of Britain and the Paras could not have taken Goose Green. I'm sure there must be many other examples.
On the contrary, "The Art of War" is still a cornerstone of military tactics today. It was still one of the standard texts 40 years ago when I first read it. Many modern wartime leaders have admitted to reading it. The KGB used tactics from it. Putin has most likely read it. Seems he didn't remember some key elements though. Still worth reading today. From the wiki page about it:

The Department of the Army in the United States, through its Command and General Staff College, lists The Art of War as one example of a book that may be kept at a military unit's library.

The Art of War is listed on the Marine Corps Professional Reading Program (formerly known as the Commandant's Reading List). It is recommended reading for all United States Military Intelligence personnel.

The Art of War is used as instructional material at the US Military Academy at West Point, in the course Military Strategy (470), and it is also recommended reading for Officer cadets at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst. Some notable military leaders have stated the following about Sun Tzu and The Art of War:

"I always kept a copy of The Art of War on my desk." – General Douglas MacArthur, 5 Star General & Supreme Commander for the Allied Powers.

"I have read The Art of War by Sun Tzu. He continues to influence both soldiers & politicians." – General Colin Powell, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Advisor, and Secretary of State.

According to some authors, the strategy of deception from The Art of War was studied and widely used by the KGB: "I will force the enemy to take our strength for weakness, and our weakness for strength, and thus will turn his strength into weakness".
Most here will know parts of it. They may not realise the origin of these well-known statements though. Bet everyone here has heard a variation on the last paragraph in the "Attack by Stratagem" section:

Hence the saying: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.