PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance in QF IR.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 15:52
DropYourSocks

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JamieMaree
More rubbish 43 inches.
I worked in the offices of a major Australian airline for 25 years as a manager. I can say without hesitation that nearly all of the office staff, most of whom were covered by an EBA, carried out their jobs with dedication and professionalism. Very few were clock watchers and most, if not all, did the extra yards when and where required.
Even today, such dedicated people, do the extra hours to get pilot rosters out each and every month. I can assure you that they don’t down tools at 5pm or leave unfinished work until after the weekend.
I didn’t detect, at all, that this professionalism and dedication was motivated by brown nosing for a promotion.
Yes, the mummies had to leave at certain times because they had child commitments, but when needed they happily made alternative arrangements.
Unlike the engineers/ ground staff who worked in the overhaul shop: At 3.30 pm, the equivalent of the local olympics would take place as they ( a lot of them) sprinted, yes sprinted, out of the workshop, clocked off, across the pedestrian crossing, through the turnstiles, up the ramp to their carpark. I suspect the motivation for this was to beat the traffic.
JamieMaree, you have ~114 posts of largely attacking or talking down to pilots over several years. Rather a lot of angst for someone who claims to have been middle management for 25 years.

But here's some generational info that is seperating the younger generations from the older. Quality of life is becoming more important than outright money, and you're starting to see that in the new contracts US pilots are negotiating. Something that is being targeted is the company wasting your time unpaid, like long airport sits for example. At delta, if a sit is over 2 hours, they get 1 minute of flight pay for every 2 mins thereafter. Not bad if you're a captain on USD$350/hr. This will either result in making more money for inefficient schedules, or make schedules more efficient. Either is good.

They also have a saying in the US, it's FUPM (I'll leave you to google it). Unpaid labour, whether on the flight deck or in the office is not good work ethic, it's exploitation. I'll leave you with this question though. After 25 years in airline management of turning up early and working late, instead of spending that time with the people in your life that you actually matter to, was it worth it??
The following users liked this post: