PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Biggin Hill Mosquito
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 08:34
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Commander Taco
I believe Weeks’ Mosquito has been stored and displayed in a controlled environment hangar in Oshkosh for several decades. At least that’s what his staff at his Fantasy of Flight Museum in Florida told me.
Yes, been there since about 1991/2 IIRC, so 30 years now, and also, how long since it last flew...!!

Funnily enough, I visited his old small Tamiami facility back in 1989, so, only 2 years or so since it had made the ferry flight over from UK, and the Mossie was sitting inside the blister hangar, but with the front open to elements, so very hot and humid. After a nostalgic look around the Mossie, (as had seen it in UK on several occasions) I went into the small gift shop, and low and behold, Kermit was manning the till in the gift shop. I asked outright if he wasn't concerned, given the nature of the problems they suffered in the Far East during service, that the similar conditions in Florida might soon render it unairworthy.
He was rather surprised, somewhat dissmissive of the suggestion, citing his soon to be grand plan, which was Fantasy of Flight, and air conditioned facility etc. However, it was interesting that within another year or two, he had flown the aircraft to EAA and has left it there ever since.