PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Fighting 737 Crashed in WA
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2023, 20:32
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by J.O.
So pilots and operators of large air tankers don't deserve a chance to learn from others misfortunes in the hopes of avoiding a similar (or worse) fate? Good to know.
I’m guessing you’re ‘not from around here’.

You obviously missed the earlier post in which I said: “To be clear, I think ATSB should be investigating this accident, preferably in consultation with or ideally with the assistance of the NTSB and Boeing. But I also think ATSB should be investigating all aircraft accidents involving fatalities.”

My comment that you quoted has a context. The context is recent aviation fatalities that ATSB has refused to investigate. They include a mid-air collision which resulted in two fatalities. ATSB refused to investigate on the ground that there was nothing to learn for transport safety and the ATSB is not funded to investigate that kind of accident. So the pilots of aircraft similar to those involved in the recent mid-air don’t deserve a chance to learn from others’ misfortunes in the hope of avoiding the worst fate?

This LAT accident involved no fatalities and has no implications for transport safety. Yet ATSB is investigating. Us ‘from around here’ know why.

You might say that we don’t know the implications until we find out what happened and why. And I’d agree with you, completely. And the same argument applies to the recent mid-air.

If exposing ATSB duplicity means I’m biased, I’m happy to be labelled biased.