PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 9th Feb 2023, 17:48
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Seems some of you mix up a bit CAT III and LVP , and ILS critical protection areas.
As a reminder : LVP is an ICAO procdeure appliacble when you go below CAT I minimas. The ICAO definition is here , not sure if the FAA one differs.

AIR OPS Definitions

Low visibility procedures (LVP) means procedures applied at an aerodrome for the purpose of ensuring safe operations during lower than standard category I, other than standard category II, category II and III approaches and low visibility take-offs. (IR-OPS Annex I)

Low visibility take-off (LVTO) means a take-off with a Runway Visual Range (RVR) lower than 400 m but not less than 75 m. (IR-OPS Annex I)

Note that ICAO requires LVP for all departures below 550m RVR, not just LVTO.
CAT IIi definitions for once are the same for both FAA and ICAO :
​​​​​​​CAT III A DEFINITIONS
ICAO and FAA definition. A category III A approach is a precision instrument approach and landing with no decision height or a decision height lower than 100ft (30m) and a runway visual range not less than 700ft (200m).
Then we have the ILS critical protection areas : ICAO definition :
​​​​​​​the ILS critical area is an area of defined dimensions about the localizer and glide path antennas where vehicles, including aircraft, are excluded during all ILS operations. The critical area is protected because the presence of vehicles and/or aircraft inside its boundaries will cause unacceptable disturbance to the ILS signal-in-space;
The exact protection area varies from airport to airrport depending on the exact location of both the Gilde ad localizer antennas, For CAT II and III Ops an additional buffer is applied . In KAUS here , on both sides there are well marked ILS CAT III protection area holding lines, clearly visible on Blancolirio video posted earlier here.

Now we can continue this very interesting discussion using facts.