PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinese spy balloon over US
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2023, 13:11
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Albatross,

As I live near Morehead City....and pass by the Port often....seeing the reference to the USS Morehead Ctty and knowing how Amphib Ships are named.....it took a while for the doubt to fester.

I rode the USS Denver so to see and LSD with a city name seemed likely enough until I thought to check the current ships list.

So do not feel bad at all.....it took almost a week for me to check.
SASless….It was fun and easy to find it on a shipping site I should however have checked the hull pendant number 50.
The Poseidon and USCG Dolphin helicopter were also easy to find on an aviation site in position ready to pounce.

I found the media reportIng on this affair to have been on the low standard I have learned to expect. “A headline in search of a story”

I was surprised that no politician or reporter, in order to spread further fear and panic, reported that the only deaths caused in the lower 48 states by air bombardment in WW2 were caused to a church group on a picnic by bombs dropped from a Japanese balloon.
One reporter for a large US network did state in passing that a Japanese balloon had been shot down during the Pearl Harbour attack…I just about fell off the couch at that one. “If you can’t daze them with facts baffle them with bull****!”
Cheers
Albatross

Funny note on Pendant numbers: If the flagship raises a flag signal of just your pendant number “at the dip” ( about 3/4 of the way up the signal halyard ) it means “You have done something wrong and have failed to correct it.” COs must luv to see that! Almost as good as the signal “Maneuver fairly well done.”