PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 9th Feb 2023, 12:44
Will66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SoftwareDev
For modular in the UK you’re looking at £65kish if completed in minimum hours with no exam resits, no flying test resits, no medical investigations and that’s just for PPL CPL ME/IR APS MCC without a type rating which is currently around €30k with Ryanair.

You then have to factor in general day to day living costs on top. Living with parents for free is not an option everyone has.

Right now in the UK to complete modular training over 3 years you will be burning through £2000 per month minimum in training costs.

Loans and credit cards? Good luck getting anything decent without a well paid job.

Also - that training makes you a qualified commercial pilot. It does not make you an airline pilot. You may never get an airline job. Any debt is a massive risk if at the end, no airline wants to hire you and you have no other career or qualifications. That’s why people get a degree first. There are thousands of qualified commercial pilots who haven’t been able to get an airline job. Flight schools are full of them teaching PPL for minimum wage.

Im not sure it’s correct that instructors can be assumed to be failed airline pilots, the job needs to be done and by many pilots who don’t want to be airline pilots an instructor role would be extremely desired. Without instructors, there would be no pilots, and without instructors there would be no flight schools.

The graduate pool in leading edge and skyborne are pretty low right now, not empty but low. My friend graduated skyborne along with 4 others who all got jobs at east jet.

but yeah, instructors aren’t just failed airline pilots. I myself; have not a focus on instructing, but hell, if I graduate flight school and don’t find a job straight away, you know what I wouldn’t want to do? Get a job using my degree, I’d much prefer to stay in aviation despite the wage and be a instructor until i found one.

there would be no instructors if it was a undesirable minimum wage job, everyone would go for something better, my driver role earned well above minimum wage