PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2023, 08:38
t43562

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer
This is what a lot of the armchair quarterbacks here are missing IMO.

Jets aren't going to turn the tide of the war, sending jets will sadly mean more dead Ukr pilots.

The Russians are still operating effective IADS at the FLOT and in the occupied areas that is still claiming Ukr aviation to this day. A token handful of western FJs are not going to enable the Ukr to run proper SEAD missions.

What we should be focusing on is sending things that make a difference now.....manpads, tube and mlrs arty, armoured vehicles and most importantly ammunition.
I'm ignorant but why should they be used for ground attack? Are they useful for defending against cruise missiles (I'm ignorant - just asking)? To an ignorant person it seems that an aircraft with a good radar might be able to protect a larger area than a ground based system - is that total bollocks? I've also read about some Russian aircraft who've been taking long range shots at the Ukranians with some success - wouldn't it be a victory to just make that unattractive with a few western aircraft with long range missiles?