PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let’s fix Notams
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2023, 05:40
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think we are treading in a dangerous area WRT the entire NOTAM system. The original idea was a good one to keep pilots up to date on evolving changes in the aero environment so they can make the best decisions possible enroute. However, the system is now reaching the point where it's becoming the potential source of obfuscation and misery for all aviators. the chaff far and away obstructs those small nuggets of real interest. This is noted in the end of the cute video as the 'stealth' or hidden NOTAM that can affect the flight as the pilot wants to diligently cover the material but there is just so much it becomes an eye-glazing mess of rote acknowledgement to CYA.

I take a bit of exception to the portrayal of the devious or incompetent, or simply cruel airport manager who sits at the computer and just tossed detritus into the NOTAM system for no good reason. I've meet many other airport managers, and trust me or don't we have zero interest in making our jobs harder, or further adding to the misery of our own little fief or the misery of the pilots out there. I've recounted in a different thread my sad tale of woe concerning a designated FAA inspector who chose to identify a couple of power poles, that have zero affect on my airport ops, but he's annotated it on the airport inspection report as a potential hazard, leaving me no option but to submit a perm NOTAM about these poles. Now, they are stuck there, clogging up the NOTAM system where no one will ever care but as long as the FAA rep noted it, I have to put it in the system for liability exception.

So, sorry for my part in the debacle. I have little or no choice. The airport has been there for 40 years, the poles have been there for > 20 years, but up until 4 years ago, they were not a factor until the FAA decided they were, or are, or will be. I'm working to have the poles removed, but I'm not the guy in charge here, and the rest of the people who can do something about them, really don't get a spit if they stay up or come down.