PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Fighting 737 Crashed in WA
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2023, 23:25
Lead Balloon

Received 424 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Well, they've started work on it: https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...rt/ao-2023-008

Over the coming weeks, the collection of evidence will allow the ATSB to determine the scope of the investigation and gain a better understanding of its timeframe.
My comment: “[L]et's hope the ATSB comes up with some 'takeaways' that folks flying for the airlines will consider relevant.” was in response to Lookleft’s suggestion that this is the first loss of a transport category hull in Australia and that was the justification for ATSB to investigate, notwithstanding that there were no fatalities and it was a known risky kind of operation with nothing to do with transport of passengers or cargo. This aircraft might have started its life as certified in the transport category, but that ended as soon as it was modified to be and was then operated as a LAT.

To be clear, I think ATSB should be investigating this accident, preferably in consultation with or ideally with the assistance of the NTSB and Boeing. But I also think ATSB should be investigating all aircraft accidents involving fatalities.

I doubt that anything will come out of this investigation that will have any relevance to folks flying for the airlines or be anything novel. I guesstimate that the outcome will be to the effect that when engaged in known risky kinds of operations, bad things are more likely to happen in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 9th Feb 2023 at 00:36. Reason: Fixed typo: "NSTB"
The following 2 users liked this post by Lead Balloon: