PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 7th Feb 2023, 19:44
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An AeroEng degree may have some use but not everyone is cut out for the university route. I tried it, was rubbish at calculus and algebra and dropped out after around six months. I simply wasn't cut out for university learning, as is the case with a lot of people.

I know a fellow who was a plumber in London and had a mortgage, wife and kids by 25. That in itself would fund the modular route with no debt. We were both train drivers at the same company, incidentally train driving is a great way to fund flying, I used it to fund my PPL. If it hadn't been for COVID, I'd have looked at going modular and if I hadn't just moved to intercity work I'd have put in for this.

The Pendolino west coast operator is apparently doing a big trainee recruitment programme this month for trainee train drivers. All the training is paid for by the company plus a £40k salary and defined-benefit pension from day one of training, salary goes up progressively to nearly £70k once two years qualified. The TUI programme is very good but it doesn't come close financially.