PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 7th Feb 2023, 18:17
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF/attorney intruding, apologies in advance.

I don't see it as "luck" - the non-occurence of a mid-air. It was the result not of random chance, but instead the reserves of safety-system building blocks (for want of a better more precise term) which kept the Swiss nonaligned. The FedEx crew had enough reserves of SA and its correlate - readiness to take immediate action - to see the problem before it was too late. I regret risking semantics here.... but: was it "luck" that prompted the UA pilot in SFO in 2017 to say, "where's this guy going? He's lined up on the taxiway." My set of older UA FCOMs (obtained legit, I swear) probably don't have an operational guidance instructing pilots what to say when they see this exact situation as on the 28 taxiway. It was that individual pilot's reserves of the fundamental "factor inputs" which, ka-thunka ka-thunka, yield the aviation safety system.

So I don't think it's indulging in ascribing heroism to PIC of the FedEx aircraft for intercepting the situation. Okay yes it points once again to the "cowboys and bad guys" mentality of lots of my Yankee compatriots when it comes to R/T, but that issue is entirely a different problem-solution cause-and-effect chain.

As for seeing NTSB honcho say CVRs were overwritten, Expletive. House T&I Reauthoirization hearings have begun. Better get this done, methink(s).

Apologies for SLF/att'y incursion amongst aviators.