PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 7th Feb 2023, 18:16
Errwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an ATC guy nor familiar with the setup at KAUS, but I can find some areas where ATC separation standards were not met and procedures were not followed, all citations from FAA JO Order 7110.65W and emphasis mine.

Any ATC pros/part 121 types please let me know if I am on target with the ATC duties, or even in the ballpark.

3−10−3. SAME RUNWAY SEPARATION

a. Separate an arriving aircraft from another aircraft using the same runway by ensuring that the arriving aircraft does not cross the landing threshold until one of the following conditions exists or unless authorized in para 3−10−10, Altitude Restricted Low Approach.

1. The other aircraft has landed and is clear of the runway. Between sunrise and sunset, if you can determine distances by reference to suitable landmarks and the other aircraft has landed, it need not be clear of the runway if the following minimum distance from the landing threshold exists: (a) When a Category I aircraft is landing behind a Category I or II− 3,000 feet. (b) When a Category II aircraft is landing behind a Category I or II− 4,500 feet.

2. The other aircraft has departed and crossed the runway end. If you can determine distances by reference to suitable landmarks and the other aircraft is airborne, it need not have crossed the runway end if the following minimum distance from the landing threshold exists: (a) Category I aircraft landing behind Category I or II− 3,000 feet. (b) Category II aircraft landing behind Category I or II− 4,500 feet. (c) When either is a category III aircraft− 6,000 feet.

3−10−5. LANDING CLEARANCE

b. Procedures.

1. Facilities without a safety logic system or facilities with the safety logic system inoperative or in the limited configuration must not clear an aircraft for a full−stop, touch−and−go, stop−and−go, option, or unrestricted low approach when a departing aircraft has been instructed to line up and wait or is holding in position on the same runway. The landing clearance may be issued once the aircraft in position has started takeoff roll.

3−10−6. ANTICIPATING SEPARATION a. Landing clearance to succeeding aircraft in a landing sequence need not be withheld if you observe the positions of the aircraft and determine that prescribed runway separation will exist when the aircraft crosses the landing threshold. Issue traffic information to the succeeding aircraft if a preceding arrival has not been previously reported and when traffic will be departing prior to their arrival.

3−10−7. LANDING CLEARANCE WITHOUT VISUAL OBSERVATION When an arriving aircraft reports at a position where he/she should be seen but has not been visually observed, advise the aircraft as a part of the landing and separation clearance that it is not in sight and restate the landing runway. PHRASEOLOGY− NOT IN SIGHT, RUNWAY (number) CLEARED TO LAND. NOTE− Aircraft observance on the CTRD satisfies the visually observed requirement.
der 7110.65W, Air Traffic Control

Last edited by Errwolf; 7th Feb 2023 at 19:59.