PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Warship: Tour of Duty
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2023, 18:15
stevef

Received 92 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
The change over the past 50 years is precisely because of ridiculous stiff upper lip attitudes that suppressed emotion and reactions and led to multiple cases of suicide, depression, PTSD, mental illness and general breakdowns in health and well being. The cases of PTSD from the Falklands and NI are still coming to the surface and cost numerous lives and mental health well being. Thankfully it is different today, and today's younger people are far better equipped to cope and move on. More strength to their elbow!
I'm sure that's true in armed conflict and emergency service scenarios but perhaps there's too much nurturing of the satellites outside of those circumstances. There seems to be waves of false grief and vigils for victims of accidents and murders over the past ten or so years and to make it worse, the adults bring their young children along to lay flowers, cards and toys. That's going to affect them more than the actual death of a pupil or person they barely - or even never - knew. Kids are resilient and I don't think they should be dragged into the 'out-pourings' of grief when a simple explanation is all that's needed.
I've had the usual share of family, friend and acquaintance losses as well as seeing some early violent departures and never felt the need for subsequent group hugs, counselling and public displays of emotion. It's probably a generation thing although it's been going on for thousands of years.
The following users liked this post: