PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 7th Feb 2023, 16:23
Will66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arena_33
I think you are looking at the issue from a very different perspective to most unfortunately. I myself am in the same boat as softwaredev - had to get a degree to get a job that pays enough to fund training.

A degree for the purpose of saving for training is not ridiculous, it isn't ideal no, but for some of us it is the only option. Student finance only has to be paid back in small amounts and for the vast majority will be written off after 30 years, with repayments rarely going above £150 pm, so student debt cant be looked at in the same way as a normal loan situation.

I assume 'easily' being able to save £90,000 in cash earning £20k was sarcasm??
I’m just speaking out of my own experiences. My sister has a first class honours, from Edinburgh - she is sitting in a admin job 🫡 like you say it’s individual circumstances. I am sure everyone will be different. I just am not motivated at all to do my degree. It’s a lot of hard work especially maths to do it just to save. I had a lot more fun driving vans around. I guess; if you’re not looking to be a pilot for let’s say 10 years. If you’re a school leaver, have no money / then I guess focusing on a career first and then having a pilot career as a future aspiration.

Maybe im just different, I just couldn’t hold a three year degree out to get a job I have no interest in actually having long term.

and haha maybe, I was basing it again on my situation : living at home with maximum saving intentions , don’t have to pay board or anything.