PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 7th Feb 2023, 15:58
SoftwareDev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunaly for a lot of us, we don't have the privillage of parents having second homes they can sell, or even one home they can remortgage, or any well of family members to inherit from. My parents couldn't even afford a £50 weekend Ryanair flight or the cost of a passport. I didn't get my passport or get to see a plane in person until I was 23 and 3 years later I'm now a licenced pilot.
Funding is a huge blocker and for most, the only way past that is to get a well paid job and I mean £60k+ a year in the UK if you want to pay for the modular route in a reasonable amount of time. To do full modular course now in the UK over 3 years you're looking at burning through an average of £2k a month over 3 years and that isn't even accounting for a type rating. It doesn't matter how much you want it. For the majority, you either need to get onto a sponsored course or get a very well paid job that will llikely require a degree.