PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "minimums ...... continue" question (MD-11)
Old 6th Feb 2023, 21:24
D7666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"minimums ...... continue" question (MD-11)

Be gentle with me. I am not a pilot.

I am very curious about something. I have an excrutiatingly specific question that has been bugging me for a while.

I spent quite a while in South America in late 1990s and many Varig Vasp and KLM MD-11 flights (as an item of self loading cargo). I have used Quito, the old city airport, on MD-11s. Hence the Pilotseye TV DVD of a Lufthansa Cargo MD-11 including Quito is of great interest and acquired one many moons ago
https://pilotseye.tv/en/route/luftha...-md11-english/

I know [in laymans terms] what 'minimums' are. On each approach you hear the automated voice ("bitching Betty" I think they name it) call out 'minimums' and each occasion the human response is 'continue'. This is my question - about the response. The way in which the crew each time speak the response 'continue' seems to me to be a very robotic standardised voice that does not occur elsewhere anywhere in the DVD, so is there some kind of voice recognition system here listening for the 'continue' response spoken in a certain way ? If yes, is this an MD-11 thing or more common ? If not, maybe is it just the accent of the crew leading me to think too deeply here ?

This bugs me every time I play this DVD as one of my first ever engineering jobs involved voice recognition responses - actually on computer controlled machine tools where the machine operator could be too busy for a more conventional response.

I think an extract from the DVD approach to Quito might be on YouTube somewhere I'll need go look for a link though.

Hope this is not too amateurish a question for this learned forum.

Thanks if you've got this far !