PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V-280 wins US ARMY FLRAA contract
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2023, 14:38
60FltMech

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts
Spoiler

FWIW, I think there are a dozen or so A models still hanging around, somewhere. I wonder if they are just too old to remanufacture into L's.[/QUOTE]

I agree, somewhere someone is making the case for all of this to be sure, and I’m also sure local politics is playing a role in the decisions, hopefully not to the detriment of actual war fighting capabilities.

As far as A Models go, the last of them are being sold as part of the Blackhawk Exchange and Sales Team, they are being auctioned off through the GSA(as well as some L Models) and some A+ airframes were abandoned in Afghanistan.

The Airframe Condition Evaluation(ACE) team scores figure in to what gets divested and what gets a service life extension.

I’ve heard that the S-92 drivetrain was designed with an eye towards being available for a potential capability enhancement for the H-60M, would be interesting to see an “M+” configuration with the new S-92B main gearbox. MH-60M already flies with the heavy S-92A bifilar assembly.

Whatever happens there will be a lot of interesting new developments in US Army Aviation in the next decade for sure!

FltMech